- Don’t carry your Social Security card or any documents with your SSN or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) on it.
- Don’t give a business your SSN or ITIN just because they ask. Give it only when required.
- Protect your financial information.
- Check your credit report every 12 months.
- Secure personal information in your home.
- Protect your personal computers by using firewalls, anti-spam/virus software, update security patches and change passwords for Internet accounts. Avoid replying or clicking on links that take you to suspicious sites. You should delete these messages.
- Don’t give personal information over the phone, through the mail or on the Internet unless you have initiated the contact or you are sure you know who you are dealing with.
If you become or suspect you’re the victim of identity theft, contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 800-908-4490
Article Content Provided by: S.A.L.T. Times Newsletter
To receive the free monthly S.A.L.T. Times Newsletter, call 397-2211 ext. 3380 or send an e-mail. For other formats: Clark County ADA Office, Voice (360) 397-2000, Relay (800) 833-6384, E-mail.